This symbolic representation was depicted by Marcantonio Franceschini (1648-1729). The painter was a faithful and archaic follower of Carlo Cignani and, generally, of the Bolognese academicism. In this fresco (1683-1687), he has expressed his classicist culture: almost in an unholy liturgy, in this work we can observe Mercury, the symbol
This is a fresco in memory of Bartolomeo Folesani Riviera (1722-1795), professor of surgery at the Archiginnasio and surgeon at the Hospital of Santa Maria della Vita. He invented a tool for the tonsillectomy. The Egyptian-style decoration was painted in 1801 by the Bolognese painter Antonio Basoli (1774-1848), who was
The mural was painted in 1661 by Carlo Cignani (1628-1719), commissioned by the students’ prior of the atheneum, the Genoese physician Francesco Maria Tiscornia, in order to honour his teacher, the Bolognese philosopher and physician Andrea Mariani, lecturer of the Studio from 1618 to 1661. The work depicts an elegant
Pietro Francesco Peggi (1688-1780) taught philosophy at the University for over half a century and he was also famous for his friendship with Pope Benedict XIV, the Bolognese Prospero Lambertini. The memorial was painted by the decorative artist Giuseppe Terzi (1749-1837), according to the criterions of eighteenth-century Bolognese scenic painting.
The Bolognese Felice Castelli taught at the Studio from 1559 to 1607. in the early years, he taught Logic, then Practical Medicine, simultaneously practising with great success the medical profession. He died on 16th June 1608, while the monument dates back to 1592. It is surmounted in the lunette by
This memorial (realised around 1678-1679) is dedicated to Giovan Battista and Ippolito Fornasari, both jurists, and it offers an example of the great variety of materials with which these monuments were made: in addition to the painted decoration, plaster, metal and sandstone were used too. The double portrait of the
There were numerous memorials dedicated to the physician Giulio Cesare Aranzi (1530?-1589), who was well-known at the time for the dissections that he practiced at the Anatomical Theatre, and for his study of the physiology of childbirth and of the anatomy of the female reproductive system. He was the first
The monument is dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo, who was the Cardinal Legate of Bologna in the founding years of the Archiginnasio. The fresco (realised between 1610 and 1612) was created by the Bolognese Giovanni Luigi Valesi and it represents four female figures, which are identifiable with Faith, Hope, Charity