Muratori’s memorial The only monument of the Archiginnasio that was realised by a female artist is Muratory’s memorial, which is located on the southern wall of the upper arcaded loggia. It was heavily damaged by the bombing of the 29th January 1944 and, also, by the subsequent restoration, because of a
This symbolic representation was depicted by Marcantonio Franceschini (1648-1729). The painter was a faithful and archaic follower of Carlo Cignani and, generally, of the Bolognese academicism. In this fresco (1683-1687), he has expressed his classicist culture: almost in an unholy liturgy, in this work we can observe Mercury, the symbol
This is a fresco in memory of Bartolomeo Folesani Riviera (1722-1795), professor of surgery at the Archiginnasio and surgeon at the Hospital of Santa Maria della Vita. He invented a tool for the tonsillectomy. The Egyptian-style decoration was painted in 1801 by the Bolognese painter Antonio Basoli (1774-1848), who was
The mural was painted in 1661 by Carlo Cignani (1628-1719), commissioned by the students’ prior of the atheneum, the Genoese physician Francesco Maria Tiscornia, in order to honour his teacher, the Bolognese philosopher and physician Andrea Mariani, lecturer of the Studio from 1618 to 1661. The work depicts an elegant
Pietro Francesco Peggi (1688-1780) taught philosophy at the University for over half a century and he was also famous for his friendship with Pope Benedict XIV, the Bolognese Prospero Lambertini. The memorial was painted by the decorative artist Giuseppe Terzi (1749-1837), according to the criterions of eighteenth-century Bolognese scenic painting.
There were numerous memorials dedicated to the physician Giulio Cesare Aranzi (1530?-1589), who was well-known at the time for the dissections that he practiced at the Anatomical Theatre, and for his study of the physiology of childbirth and of the anatomy of the female reproductive system. He was the first